Director COI Strategy & Defence (COI S&D) Dr. Johann Schmid contributed to the event Hybrid Warfare in the Black Sea – Romania, Europe, and NATO Collective Responses organized by The German Marshall Fund of the United States and the Ministry of Defence of Romania, 13. Dec. 2018 in Bucharest (ROU).
- As hybrid warfare actors tend to operate in the grey areas of interfaces (e.g. war-peace, internal-external, civil-military) countering hybrid warfare requires particularly the ability to act at interfaces and protect these traditionally most vulnerable points.
- Hybrid warfare extends the battlefield into various domains (e.g. politics, society, culture, economy). Therefore comprehensive response decisive, including: a whole of government approach, a whole of society approach as well as international cooperation and coordination.
- Hybrid warfare generally favors the offensive. It looks differently in each single manifestation and it may derive from unexpected directions. Therefore, defense to be considered as an enduring endeavor. Active elements to be included!
- Strategic communication important in countering hybrid warfare. Setting positive own messages (no counter-propaganda) decisive.
- Awareness and early warning important. However, surprise and friction will never be eliminated. Therefore comprehensive understanding based on educated judgment decisive
COI S&D Concept of interfaces and center of gravity proved to be valuable to explain core elements of the nature of hybrid warfare and identify elements in defence and response.